Monday, November 3, 2014

Just Wanting to Get Better

So, I feel like I have a pretty good handle on eyes and brows. I know a lot of different twchniques, and I found what works for me but can still switch it up if a client requests something that's best done a different way. But I am constantly on YouTube watching different "gurus" (and some not so well known youtube artists) perform their preferred highlighting and contouring routines.  Highlighting and contouring is probably my favorite part of makeup application, although it has always been my least strong point. Whether it be finding the perfect tool and technique to apply the highlight or finding the right products to use, i'm always trying to get better at it. Practice makes perfect, of course, and I really do try to practice on myself as much as possible, but I am a beauty on a budget so switching up the products is not always ideal. For the past year and a half i've been using the Coastal Scents Camouflage Palette for my highlighting needs. Mixing the colors to match clients needs and trying different ways to get the best application. It has worked...fine. I used to adore this palette but I believe that i've grown out of it. It has started to crease on me and, although it works great for my clients, I need to move on. My first move was to take some advice and start setting it with a powder to avoid creasing... works ok. I'm not totally in awe of it, but it is a bit better.
What's been trending for quite some time and is majorly affordable at around $2/$3 per tube is LA Girl Cosmetics Pro Concealer.  The only issue i'm having is... I CAN'T FLIPPIN FIND IT IN STORES! Yes, I can buy online, but I am the type of shopper (esp cosmetics) that needs to see colors in real life. I would hate to buy a hand full of these babies and then realize I have no use for any number of them...ain't nobody got time fuh dat! The other day, I walk into my local beauty supply for some hair and SCORE! LA Girl Pro Concealers front and center!.... inshades my skin tone and darker. Whomp whomp. I don't contour with concealer, I prefer powder. It's much easier to blend for me. So, still on the hunt for this concealer.
What I will say is that I am so very happy that I am a visual learner and that I can take a lot from what I see from youtube, instagram and makeup artists personal websites as well as trial and error on my own face. I've gotten soooo much better and have soooo much more of an understanding of why different techniques and products work on different skin tones and types. Just because i'm not in a formal school, doesn't mean that I shouldn't try to learn what I can from those willing to share and better myself with some experimentation of my own. So... next step is finding some cosmetology text books for cheap and gaining more knowledge and, of course, finding those damn concealers!
Just thought i'd share with you my current state of mind. I haven't stopped doing makeup and I haven't stopped beating my own mug..i've just been preoccupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment