Friday, July 18, 2014

I'm Afraid of Commitment. ..

Ok, I know u see that title and think "really?... married with 6.7 million kids, and ur afraid of commitment?" But really am... when it comes to my appearance. I am always changing and growing mentally and so, I can't remain the same physically... I fall into a pit of feeling blah. So I went blonde for a long time, but with blonde came the journey of getting brighter and brighter. I'm always adjusting my daily makeup routine from super heavy to wearing nothing at all... and now i've gone red.. and pink, but let's concentrate on the fact that I can be classified as a chemically enduced ginger. Well... I think i've mentioned before that I really wanted to get dreads, but the commitment there is ultimate. So I got marley twists and i've had box braids, and i've looked up a little about fake dreads but the work involved is not really worth it (or feasible with my kiddies ruling my life.) And also, the dreads I was used to seeing didn't really look like real dreads to me.. my husband and two of my brothers have dreads so I know this...man!

I'm used to seeing ppl with their faux dreads looking like this...
Not bad looking by far. But i kinda want my hair to look a little more authentic.

Well, a discussion with a framily member (stole that term, but it fits) and he is so not about non-black people having dreads for cultural reasons. I, on the other hand, think it's dope when cultures and traditions and arts cross the color lines. This may be because i'm mixed with so many things and the sharing and embracing of cultures is what my family is made of.. but whatevs. The discussuion re-sparked my need for a head full of realistic yet removable dreads... like... i want my hair to look kinda cool and funky with a hint of earthiness... i want to look how i feel inside... and i really like the way i see punk girls freak their dreads... for example...


You see? It's stylish and fun and looks dressed up instead of being all the way earthy and dressed down... i like these because i feel like this is what i would look like if i could just commit to the dread head... but wait... is that top pic.. Sokolum?.. One of my fav girls to follow on ig because of her makeup looks?... And did i just see her post that her dreads are from icy dreads ? Wait... so... they look like real hair (colorful, but real) and... they're not growing from her head?... whaaaaaaat?!?!
So i checked them out and then, even better, learned how to make them myself... a bit time consuming, but worth it since the install is pretty simple and the materials are extra cheap. So... i had some leftover braid hair from my box braids and i tried the process out, just to see if i could do it and achieve a natural looking dread... SUCCESS!...

So, I'm going to refresh my red with my adore hair color, get some braid hair that matches, make a thousand dreads in my free time, and get it started! I'm beyond excited to look like this from behind....

So yea, next mission in this hair journey of mine is in full swing.. stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment